Some sections of the trail are located on dirt roads north of Otterburne. These should be avoided after big rains…
- North connection of Poirier Rd to Alarie Rd in RM of De Salaberry, east of Crystal Springs Hutterite Colony.
- From PR 305 to Fontaine Rd (grassy road) going west to Mennonite Landing.
- Crown Valley Rd from PR 200 towards Niverville.
- Sood Rd from Stott Rd to Gauthier Rd, northwest of Niverville
- First part of Shapansky Rd just off the Floodway.
In addition, there is a small section of dirt road south of St-Pierre-Jolys:
- First part of Perreault Rd just of PR 205 southeast of St-Pierre-Jolys going south.
Here’s a short blurb from a trail user who experienced the wet gumbo of the Red River Valley! The following year, she did the trail in September! Her adventure is summarized in one of our blogs.
June 3, 2011: One spring day on Crow Wing:
From Otterburne, headed out on Poirier Road – sun shining, sky so big and so blue, birds singing, prairie wind rippling the grasses. A gravel road, at first, no problem. About 3 – 4 km along, gravel ended abruptly and we were faced with a decision. A mud road with no shoulders to travel around the mud. A few steps into the mud removed any doubts as to what to do. Our shoes were big gumbo footballs – ‘country high heels’, we were told. Our bike tires would no longer turn.